Sunday, January 8, 2017

Testify

January 9, 2017

This week was solid. I learned a lot about the things I need to improve on the mission. Big news – Elder Soares and I are staying in Canela for one more transfer. I’m pumped because we have an awesome group of investigators who are preparing for baptism, and everyone in Canela is starting to get laid off so it will be way easier to find people to teach. Last week, I mentioned how Orildo and Elen were preparing to be baptized this week. Unfortunately, Elen ended up traveling with her family, and Orildo wants a baptism date close to his birthday (January 22). But they are both super prepared and ready to become members. Orildo never drank, never smoked, and never drank coffee, so he was living the Word of Wisdom all his life. Elen has been reading the Book of Mormon for a week and is already in Alma. It’s fun to teach them, and I always learn something new. Douglas, Orildo, and Jefferson came to church this week. The spirit was super strong as our branch testified of the truthfulness of Christ. Fast and testimony meeting is for sure one of my favorite moments on the mish. I rarely ever bore my testimony before the mish, but I have made it a goal to every month stand at the pulpit and testify about the things that I know. I have truly seen my testimony grown as I have practiced sharing it with companions, members, investigators, strangers and those who read my letters. My challenge for you would be to continue to bear your testimony. Whether it be at church, in a text, with friends or with family, there is never a bad moment to share what you know. There is no doubt in my mind that through sharing your testimony with others you will grow closer to him. I had an experience that changed my perspective on testifying. A couple weeks back I was on splits with LZ Elder Karchmarsky. We were standing next to a popular restaurant in Canela waiting for the other 2 missionaries to arrive when 3 middle-aged men came up to us and questioned, “Who is Joseph Smith?” As one asked, the others chuckled. I took a step back and felt offended, but my companion stood boldly and firmly replied, “Joseph Smith is a prophet of God.” The three men immediately became silent and walked away. In this moment I learned that we must always be ready to testify. We never know when a doubt, trial or temptation will enter our life, but if we are worthy and ready to testify, we will persevere and only grow stronger. So testify! “Nevertheless, ye are blessed, for the testimony which ye have borne is recorded in heaven for the angels to look upon; and they rejoice over you, and your sins are forgiven you.” Doctrine and Covenants 62:3. I love you all and hope you have a great week.

Dave

failed zone pic

elder quesado... was in my zone during passo fundo... only person ive met on the mission who knows how to play basketball

my first lz... elder ribeiro in the middle purple tie... left the mish today



No comments:

Post a Comment